Show off in front of your friends and watch their faces as they pretend to know what you’re talking about. It’s the best feeling ever. In your mind, you’re laughing your butt off because you know they have no idea what you mean, but they go along with it anyway. On this post, I give you 7 words to make you sound brilliant in front of your friends. Have fun!
7. Elucidate [elu·ci·date] – to explain or make something clear. Let’s use it in a sentence: Could you elucidate that concept so that I can fully grasp it?
6. Obfuscate [ob·fus·cate] – to confuse someone, or to obscure the meaning of something. Sentence: The teenagers used text speak and emojis to obfuscate their messages from their parents.
5. Perfunctory [per·func·to·ry] – something done without much care or attention. Sentence: The customer made a perfunctory review of the sales agreement before he signed.
4. Quid pro quo – giving something in exchange for getting something. This one is a little more common, but still, most people have no idea what it means. Sentence: He gave her food from his garden as a quid pro quo for her cutting his hair.
3. Scintillating [scin·til·lat·ing] – something fascinating or brilliantly clever. Sentence: She created a scintillating presentation for the meeting.
2. Quintessential [quin·tes·sen·tial] – a typical example of a particular person or characteristic. Here’s another word that somewhat commonly used but still most have no clue. Sentence: It was the quintessential chocolate chip cookie, with its slightly chewy texture and giant chocolate pieces.
1. Sycophant [syc·o·phant] – a person who tries to gain attention by flattering powerful or influential people. Sentence: She became a real sycophant when she wanted her boss to provide a good referral.
Don’t you feel smarter? If nothing else, at least now you know 7 words to make you sound brilliant. And as G.I Joe used to say; “Knowing is Half the Battle”. I’m excited for you to use these words around your friends just to see the reactions.
Are there any other words you would like to share with our community? Please do so below.
Are you ready to bring your new found knowledge to trivia night? Find a location near you and Join Kid Corona as he takes through 6 awesome rounds of trivia. Check out the video below to learn more about us.
I look forward to seeing you soon.